- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while waterskiing, including hypothermia, heat exhaustion, heatstroke, dehydration, sunburn, contusions, lacerations, blisters, and hyperventilation.
- Do the following:
- Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person. Explain how such conditions are recognized.
- Demonstrate proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
- Before doing the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA swimmer test. Jump feetfirst into water over your head in depth. Level off, and swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be completed in one swim without stops, and must include at least one sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating.
- Know the Water-Skier's Safety Code. Promise that you will live up to it. Follow it in all water work for this badge. Know the safety precautions that must be used by the boat operator in pulling skiers.
- Show the following water-skier signals to safety observer in boat: skier safe, faster, slower, turns, back to dock, cut motor, skier in water
- In deep water, show you can adjust binders to fit, put on skis, and recover skis that have come off during a fall.
- Make a deepwater start on two skis without help.
- Show you can fall properly to avoid an obstacle. Also, show that you can drop handle and coast to a stop without loss of balance.
- Show you can cross both wakes and return to center of wake without falling. Repeat three times.
- During a demonstration run, lift one ski clear of the water for two seconds. Then do the same with the other ski. Show that you are steady and comfortable on skis at all times.
- Ski on one ski for 30 seconds. Show reasonable control.
BSA Advancement ID#:
Requirements last updated in: 1999
Pamphlet Stock Number: 33348A
Pamphlet Revision Date: 1999
|Worksheets for use in working on these requirements:||Prepared by
|Word Format||PDF Format|
Page updated on: November 28, 2017