Either this Merit Badge
or Swimming MB or Cycling MB
is Required to earn the Eagle Scout Rank
- Do the following:
- Explain to your counselor the most likely hazards you may encounter while hiking, and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, and respond to these hazards.
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while hiking, including hypothermia, frostbite, dehydration, heat exhaustion, heatstroke, sunburn, hyperventilation, altitude sickness, sprained ankle, blisters, insect stings, tick bites, and snakebite.
- Explain and. where possible, show the points of good hiking practices including proper outdoor ethics, hiking safety in the daytime and at night, courtesy to others, choice of footwear, and proper care of feet and footwear.
- Explain how hiking is an aerobic activity. Develop a plan for conditioning yourself for 10-mile hikes, and describe how you will increase your fitness for longer hikes.
- Take the five following hikes, each on a different day, and each
of continuous miles. These hikes MUST be taken in the following order
- One 5-mile hike
- Three 10-mile hikes
- One 15-mile hike
- Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in one day following a hike plan you have prepared. You may stop for as many short rest periods as needed, as well as one meal, but not for an extended period (example: overnight). *
- After each of the hikes (or during each hike if on one continuous "trek") in requirements 4 and 5, write a short reflection of your experience. Give dates and descriptions of routes covered, the weather, and any interesting things you saw. It may include something you learned about yourself, about the outdoors, or about others you were hiking with. Share this with your merit badge counselor.
* The required hikes for this badge may be used in fulfilling hiking requirements for rank advancement. However, these hikes cannot be used to fulfill requirements of other merit badges.
BSA Advancement ID#:
Scoutbook ID#: 62
Requirements last updated in: 2016
Pamphlet Publication Number: 35907
Pamphlet Stock (SKU) Number: 629414
Pamphlet Revision Date: 2016
Page updated on: May 08, 2022