The Meaning of the Boy Scout Law
Excerpted from page 47-54, Boy Scout Handbook,
(#33105), copyright 1998 by BSA, ISBN 0-8395-3105-2
- A Scout is Trustworthy.
- A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his
promises. People can depend on him.
- A Scout is Loyal.
- A Scout is true to his family, friends, Scout leaders,
school, and nation.
- A Scout is Helpful.
- A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to
help others without expecting payment or reward.
- A Scout is Friendly.
- A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts.
He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and
respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different
from his own.
- A Scout is Courteous.
- A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position.
He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to
- A Scout is Kind.
- A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats
others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does
not harm or kill any living thing.
- A Scout is Obedient.
- A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop.
He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks
these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed
in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them.
- A Scout is Cheerful.
- A Scout looks for the bright side of life. He cheerfully
does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.
- A Scout is Thrifty.
- A Scout works to pay his own way and to help others. He
saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural
resources. He carefully uses time and property.
- A Scout is Brave.
- A Scout can face danger although he is afraid. He has the
courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others
laugh at him or threaten him.
- A Scout is Clean.
- A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He chooses
the company of those who live by high standards. He helps keep
his home and community clean.
- A Scout is Reverent.
- A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his
religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.