The requirements below were effective through May
31, 2015, when the Cub Scout advancement program was completely revised.
For the current requirements for the Webelos Badge, Click here.
As of June 1, 2015, the Webelos Activity Badges have been discontinued.
These are the requirements as they appeared
in the 2003 edition of the Webelos Handbook (33452).
To see the changes which were made in 2003, Click Here
To see the PREVIOUS requirements (as they appeared in the 1998 edition of the Webelos Scout Book - #33108), Click Here.
Boys who became Webelos Scouts after August 1, 2005, were required to use the requirements below.
As with all Cub Scout ranks, you must first earn the Bobcat Badge to be eligible to work for this award.
Also, your Webelos Den Leader will now sign off your activities (your parent or guardian does not sign off the activities as they did when you were a Wolf or Bear).
- Have an adult member of your family read the Webelos Scout Parent Guide that comes with this book (pages 1-22) and sign here.
- Be an active member of your Webelos den for 3 months (Active means having good attendance, paying den dues, working on den projects).
- Know and explain the meaning of the Webelos badge.
- Point out the three special parts of the Webelos Scout uniform. Tell when to wear the uniform and when not to wear it.
- Earn the Fitness and Citizen activity badges and one other activity badge from a different activity group .
- Plan and lead a flag ceremony in your den that includes the U.S. flag.
- Show that you know and understand the requirements to be a Boy Scout.
- Demonstrate the Scout salute, Scout sign, and Scout handshake. Explain when you would use them.
- Explain the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan
- Explain and agree to follow the Outdoor Code.
After completing the rest of requirement 8, do these (a, b, and c):
- Know: Tell what you have learned about faith.
- Commit: Tell how these faith experiences help you live your duty to God. Name one faith practice that you will continue to do in the future.
- Practice: After doing these requirements, tell what you have learned about your beliefs.
And do one of these (d OR e):
- Earn the religious emblem of your faith*
- Do two of these:
- Attend the mosque, church, synagogue, temple, or other religious organization of your choice, talk with your religious leader about your beliefs. Tell your family and your Webelos den leader what you learned.
- Discuss with your family and Webelos den leader how your religious beliefs fit in with the Scout Oath and Scout Law, and what character-building traits your religious beliefs have in common with the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
- With your religious leader, discuss and make a plan to do two things you think will help you draw nearer to God. Do these things for a month.
- For at least a month, pray or meditate reverently each day as taught by your family, and by your church, temple, mosque, synagogue, or religious group.
- Under the direction of your religious leader, do an act of service for someone else. Talk about your service with your family and Webelos den leader. Tell them how it made you feel.
- List at least two ways you believe you have lived according to your religious beliefs.
* If you earned your faith's religious emblem earlier in Cub Scouting, and your faith does not have a Webelos religious emblem, you must complete requirement 8e.
Completion of requirement 8e does not qualify a youth to receive the religious emblem of his faith.
Webelos Emblems are listed on pages 68-69.
A list of the various religious emblems, and the levels in which they can be earned is also listed on this site. Click here to see it.)
|Worksheets for use in working on these requirements:||Word Format||PDF Format|
After you've earned the Webelos badge, you can earn the compass points emblem. It is awarded after you earn seven activity badges, four more in addition to the three you earned for the Webelos badge. Wear your compass points emblem attached to the button on the right pocket of the Webelos uniform shirt.
After you earn the compass points emblem, you'll receive a metal compass point for each four additional activity badges you earn. Pin these compass points on the emblem in the "E," "W," or "S" positions, in any order you choose.
You can earn the emblem and all three compass points by completing 19 activity badges, including the three required for the Webelos Badge.