Before you begin work on this service award, discuss with your Den Leader and either your Scoutmaster, Varsity Coach, Venturing Adviser, or Cubmaster the role and importance of the Den Chief.
- Serve the pack faithfully for 1 full year.
- Attend a den chief training (if available within year of service) OR be trained by the assistant Cubmaster and den leader.
- Know the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Help Cub Scouts achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Be the activities assistant in den meetings. (lead five songs, five stunts or skits, five games, five sports activities)
- Set a good example by attitude and uniforming.(for a minimum of six months)
- Be a friend to the boys in the den.
- Take part in weekly meetings. (for a minimum of six months)
- Assist the den at the monthly pack program.(at least three times)
- Know the importance of the monthly theme.
11. Meet as needed with the adult members of the den, pack or troop , team, or crew.
- 12. Complete FOUR of these projects:
- Serve as a staff member of a Cub Scout special event, such as a Scouting show, bicycle rodeo, etc.
- Serve as a staff member of a Cub Scout Day camp or resident camp.
- Advance one Boy Scout rank.
- Assist in recruiting three new Cub Scouts.
- Assist three Cub Scouts to become Webelos Scouts.
- Assist three Webelos Scouts to join a troop.
- Help to plan and carry out a joint pack-troop activity.
- Recommend to your Scoutmaster, Varsity Scout Coach, or Venturing Adviser another Boy Scout ,Varsity Scout, or Venturer to be a den chief.
The information in GREEN is not in the requirements as listed in Boy Scout Requirements, but is in the details in the Den Chief Handbook.
Note: The Braids shown at the Top of this page ( Red White & Blue) are the Den Chief Service Award Braids.
Pictured below are the Braids worn by Scouts while serving as a Den Chief (Blue & Gold) or as a Webelos Den Chief (Red, Blue & Gold)
Each of these are worn over the left shoulder, (under the epaulet and under the arm). A Scout that has earned the Den Chief Service Award, and is serving as a Den Chief or Webelos Den Chief, may wear both braids.
|Den Chief||Webelos Den Chief|